Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Grass skiing!!!

Tuesday 28th July
I didn't sleep very well last night, the spasms in my legs were worse during the night. They think it could be because of a UTI(urinary tract infection) so they did some blood tests, a MSU(urine culture) and put me on some general antibiotics to see if it will settle. I feel OK so far tonight,fingers crossed.
Dad came in at around 11 and we headed to the Gym for physio. Alex wanted to try some vertical lifts from the chair to floor and back to the chair. But because of my poor nights sleep my concentration was horrible and I ended just falling out of the chair and couldn't hold myself up on the floor. We all decided that we can try the floor stuff again another day and I hopped on the leg machine for a more relaxing workout.



Dad and I went down to the Forum for lunch with the Miltons. I had a good chat to Michael about sit skiing and disabled cycling, very interesting to listen to what he had to say about his life and experiences.
After lunch Dad and I headed to the stairs that we found to try some more advanced wheelchair skills with Dave, unfortunately they were just a bit to narrow to be able to do them all by myself. Hopefully we will find some suitable stairs soon so we can have a real go at them.
On the way back up the hill Dave asked if I wanted to try going down a hill on grass and dirt. All was good on the way down, didn't really faze me at all. When I decided to come back up the grassy hill backwards was when I got into trouble. There was not enough traction on the ground with slick tyres on wet grass and thus I had my first fall out of the chair. It was not that bad as I was already leaning back in the chair due to the hill and the grass was nice and soft. Plus Dave was there to catch my legs. Dad was ready with the camera. I was laughing more than anything, it was also a chance for Dave to show me how you get someone up when they have fallen back in their chair. There was some mud on the chair and me though, will have some more washing to do.





After the grassy hill adventure Dad and I headed to the garden for a coffee where we sat and chatted for a hour or so. We then went to the roof of the carpark to check out the foundations for the extension to the Private hospital. We stayed there for ages watching the excavator make a ramp out of nothing down into the pit. I'm now trying to get a good nights sleep for tomorrow, when we will be going to the pool for a swim. I'm really looking forward to being in the water, it will be interesting to see how different the body will feel and work in the water.



Stu

1 comment:

  1. Great stuff Stu, you are so inspirational!!!! I am your no 1 personal stalker, cant go a day without the blog!!! Scary i know, but have no fear i dont bite hard? Gaz said keep up the good work, catch up soon xoxox

    ReplyDelete