Sunday, July 5, 2009

Taxi travel

Sunday the 5th July

Stuart's blog.
My day today was good. Got up and showered as normal as every other day. Then at 11am caught a cab to St Vincents Private Hospital to visit a friend who has cancer. All I wanted was to get out of my chair and give him a hug, there is always someone else worse off than you. We ventured outside for a coffee which was nice, rolled down the street and around the corner where we found this nice cafe. One of the staff cleared a table inside and made room for me to get in, it was very nice. Most of the time when people see you in a chair they stare and stand still, it would be handy if they could stare but still move a bit so I could pass. On the way back Mum and I used the new skills Alanna has taught us in OT to negotiate curbs and gutter,road crossings and all sorts of obstacles. It was good fun to put them into use in the outside world. It's true what she said, you can get anywhere in a chair if you have the skills. The taxi ride home was not the best, there were no places to hold on so I was left to grabbing the chair which didn't feel safe as every corner I felt like I was going to fall out of my chair. Just something else to get used to I guess.








Tomorrow I'm heading to Chatswood finally, the trip is so I can learn how to use both the train and bus to get places. Once I learn these skills and Alanna feels I am safe,I can go out on my own. Transformers 2 here I come! It will be good because then I'll have a bit more independence up my sleeve. When we get back I'm heading to the dentist at 4pm to get my chipped front tooth looked at. Which will be great, hopefully it will be fixed and I can eat food properly. No more cutting it up into little pieces.

Stu

1 comment:

  1. Hey Stuart, you're certainly looking great, enjoy getting out and about.

    ReplyDelete