Monday, July 27, 2009

Lazy Sunday and Boardshort Monday

Sunday 26th July

Got up a little later today. I try to give myself one day where its not a rush in the morning to get out of bed. Meaghan was waiting downstairs at 11 as we wanted to go the Victoria's Basement which is just down the road from the hospital. Am managing to get into Tristan's car OK and Meaghan got the wheelchair in easily. I did felt like a bull in a china shop, so I was very tentative in getting up and down the isles shop. We could have walked there, but the hill to come back up would have been hell on my arms. I rolled away with a tea cup with a strainer in it, and a coffee peculator for Dad. If I had a kitchen to go back to I would have had more in my arms. By the time we left the shop it was around lunch time, the idea came up of trying the Indian restaurant that I've been to before, but it was shut Sunday lunch. So it was back to Nando's like last Sunday. I think it might become a Sunday arvo tradition from now on, I don't think Meaghan or Tristan would mind. We then capped off an nice afternoon with a coffee/tea at the hospital. I once again really enjoyed the day out again.



Monday 27th July

Got up a little bit earlier today so I could do some washing from the weekend, It's a long way down to the bottom of a washing machine when you are in a chair, I feel it would have looked rather strange if someone walked in seeing me trying to climb into the thing just to get the clothes out.
In the gym Alex got me to do some weights using the cable machine, I suggested that they should get a mirror placed behind the machine so people can watch their form. Its a waste of time doing weights if you are not doing it properly. After the weights I did some dips on the parallel bars, then a bit of cycling and some leg muscle work. I'm really getting some strength in the left leg I'm able to get it really swinging along suspended in the air. Alex came up during the hour and asked if I wanted to do some hydrotherapy tomorrow, I was really keen to go.But would need to get some boardies. So after OT with Dave, which involved more gutter work, I'm so close to getting it right. I headed down to Chatswood again. This time I didn't get lost in the Mall and managed to push around with relative ease on the new carpet that they have layed. Found some boardies, sat down for a coffee and headed back to the hospital and was home by 5:30. When I got into the ward I was told the swimming had been moved to Wednesday, which was a bit annoying because Dad came up tonight on the evening REX flight instead of coming tomorrow. But in a good twist we now have Tuesday lunch with Michael Milton(the one legged skier). His father John is also a patient on 7D. I'm really excited because Micheal is a very inspirational person to me,just what he has achieved and to think that I will be able to go and have lunch with him tomorrow is mind boggling.
Dad arrived about 7.30, was good to see him and catch on all the news from home. And fill him in on the details of my adventures since Mum left on Friday.

1 comment:

  1. Michael Milton aside, Stuart, YOU are an inspiration!

    We follow your adventures keenly day by day, bulletin by bulletin, and feel privaleged to be sharing,as we are, in you recovery.

    ReplyDelete