Monday, July 13, 2009

Hey there mum, here we go woo!

Today once again started like most week days with bowel care and showering. My doctor came in to have a chat and to see how I'm going with my rehab and asked to see the movement in my leg, to both of our surprise I had movement in my quads, and hip ad-ductors in my left leg. I couldn't move these when I went to bed the night before, every little bit of extra movement has an amazing effect on your body now.

I was up and dressed myself today with no help from any of the nurses, another little plus for me. Then off to Physio to work on my leg, I bumped into Dad on the way there. I Jumped onto the plinth to allow Dad to fix my wheelchair for hopefully the final time! He did an amazing job and it rolls along so much better now. I slid across do do some work on on my new found muscles by taking gravity away, then next step after these muscles get better is to start moving them with the gravity. After this I did a few vertical transfers and I've nearly got the knack of it. These vertical transfers will allow me to get into my chair from the ground(helpful if I do happen to fall out) and also out of a swimming pool etc.

Dad and I came back for lunch where we met up with Graham in his new electric chair, bit more freedom for him and he looked so happy. Dad and I trundled down stairs to get a coffee and fill out the Aust. Post redirection form and a bit of a chat away from everything before we went to OT. Alanna has now got to the point where she can't teach me any more wheelchair skills so now its just practice on what she has taught me. We first tried some up and down ramps and uphill techniques. Which involves leaning as far forward as possible and then using your body weight to propel yourself forward up the hill. Downhill is running down on the back wheels, which I've managed to get the hang of really well now. We then went to hit the gutters again, getting down is now a subconscious movement. Up is still a tricky one, which I was able to manage on the low gutter, but the high one still is toubling me, I'll get it one day.

The day ended with a chat with Lucy the CNS, who taught Dad and I all about self catheterization. This will all begin at 8 tomorrow morning, where I'll have my indwelling catheter removed and then self catheterize every 4 hours. I will be on a fluid restriction, only allowed 100mls per hour and have to keep a accurate record of my oral intake. The surgical dressers will help me with the catheter bit until I get the hang of it. These guys help with my bowel care each day as well. It will be great to be able to shower, do my transfers and go to Physio etc and not have to worry about pulling or disconnecting the catheter and loose the bag strapped to my leg. Just great to get rid of it!

The choices for dinner tonight were a bit limited so Dad and I were going to get fish and chips from the cafeteria downstairs. Early night as the cricket(first test) is over and its a rest day in the cycling. Will see what tomorrow brings.

Stuart

No comments:

Post a Comment