Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Monday thru Thurs

Thursday 3rd September
My first visitor today was Lucy (CNC continence) with some new catheters to try. They look pretty good.
Mum then had a chat with Debbie LTCS as we have decided that it would perhaps be easier to head home on Saturday. Dad is coming up this afternoon and will take all my STUFF home in the car on Friday. Mum and I will fly home on Saturday.
Decided to make the most of my last few physio sessions at RNS. Started today with a quick walk around the park. Well actually around the four the plinths in the FASF, my AFO'S on and heal raisers in my shoes. Was my best walk yet, my leg did not spasm much at all.
Sorry guys it's sideways again!!!


Could not have gone much further though, my hip flexors got very tired. I then got on the plinth and the girls assessed the spasticity in my legs. Jane then helped me do with some more serious stretching.



Rosmary (from Moorong) then came to fill out my application form for Moorong when it is my turn. She gave us lots of info and we discussed at length my goals, what I wanted to achieve when I got there- driving, getting scripted for my wheelchair and walking to the best that I can. Also getting info and trying some of the many sports available to people with spinal injuries.
I then had an informal chat with Louise.....about sexual function and spinal injuries. An important topic for us boys!!!
The afternoon physio session was fun. I did some upper body work on the weights and then played catch(using a 3kg weight ball) with Jane, who was in a wheelchair as well. Finished off with Damo working on my hip flexors for the last time.






Wednesday 2nd September.
Mum arrived early and I was downstairs having a coffee. It is a interesting in the morning, lots of different people, workers from the construction site etc.
Had another go on the exercise bike with feet strapped in/on with red tape. Still no go though between slipping off the peddles and the spasms, I had to call it quits. So went back to the leg spinner for a bit, but the spasms made this to difficult as well. So back to the plinth for some stretching. No walking this morning, saving myself for the pool at Moorong later on today.




Had a visit from Chris(peer support) Was good to talk at length to some one who has been in a chair for many years. Managing his life, working, playing sport and having a family. He has a two year old son, who loves his Dad's wheelchair.
After lunch it was off to Moorong in a cab with Alex, Victoria and Alan. I sat in the front seat and Alex traveled in the wheelchair in the back, just to see what it is like. She should of done it on the way home though as boy was it a rough trip. Some of the cabbies have no idea and just swing around the corners and in some of the older vehicles there is nothing to hold onto onto for support. Not much fun when you do not have much core strength.
It was nice to show Mum around and catch up with Melissa, Bilah and the rest of the gang who have moved across from RNS. Alan and I had the pool to ourselves which was nice. My right knee kept locking so I was unable to do any leg work in the pool and concentrated on my upper body. Doing some stretches and arm work, plus managed a couple of laps of freestyle. Watched Alison and Bilah playing wheelchair tennis, it did look fun.







Then we got the call from Debbie, LTCS had approved my transfer to Calvary Hospital back home. Will continue my rehab in Wagga Wagga while waiting my turn at Moorong. Hopefully will be home by the weekend.

Tuesday 1st September
Regular start to my day, not as much to do in the morning if I have had my shower at night.
In physio I managed to get onto an exercise bike, felt good but my right leg would not stay on the peddle even with the toe clips. Tried to keep it in place by strapping it on with a bandage. No luck,still kept coming off and rotating in. Will try with duck tape tomorrow. Spent the rest of the session stretching, concentrating on my hamstrings again
Was downstairs having a coffee when Mum arrived from Wagga Wagga late in the afternoon.
We then went to the top of the carpark to check out the progress on the building site. mum had not seen the rather tall crane in action before. It is amazing the weights, size of loads that it seems to move around the site with ease.

Monday 31st August.
Quiet day after my weekend, well overnight stay in Canberra.
Went to physio twice, lots of stretching....trying to get the spasms in my right leg under control. Also tried some electro stimulation on my right leg. Will get the team to increased the dose of one of my medications to see if that might help.

No comments:

Post a Comment