Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Walked all morning

Wednesday 5 November
I had a morning session with Kevin who fits the legs splints and orthotics. We came to the conclusion that we remove the heal raiser as it was affecting my spasms more than it was helping. He also tried something new, using a binder, a 6 inch wide band of elastic which you wrap around your waist. He wrapped it around my hips and bum, giving me feedback on what my legs are doing. It improved my balance 10 fold!!! I could stand without holding onto anything, even wave my arms around and rock from one leg to the other. I even managed to walk down the parallel bars using only one hand for support. He said you can get special bike shorts made which would work better but the binder will do the trick in the meantime. After my session with Kevin I decided to try and stay up until lunch time, which I managed to do. This is the longest that I've ever been standing and walking.
After lunch Viv had organised to go and have a gym session with Gary Foley. He trains a lot of high profile disabled athletes. He first got me onto the seated row and then said I should give rowing a go because of my long arms. Then we moved on to the hand cycle and after a while he asked if I wanted to come down one Monday evening and give one a go around a track. I then did some boxing which really gets your heart and lungs going. It's also a great core body workout. Gary is also just starting out track and road cycling so we had a lot in common to talk about there. Hopefully I'll be able to get back there once more before I head home to Wagga.
They have given me an official date to come home now too. The 20th of November has been penned. It's good to have an actual date you can work with. Not long now!

Stu

No comments:

Post a Comment