Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Biking and Tennis.

Wednesday 21st October
Not a normal start today, I headed down to the tennis courts to have a go of the hand cycle. It was a three wheel bike that you sit in, using your arms to peddle and you lean to steer. It does need a lot of work to get going again. I'm amazed at the lack of tools on hand here, nothing around to repair a wheelchair. I'll get the tools soon and fix the front wheel and the gears and give it a real go.





I then went and got set up in another tennis chair for the afternoon. It was so much easier with the correct equipment. The hardest part is getting your self into the correct position to hit the ball which will come in time, but I can serve better sitting down than I could standing up.





Trish from OT had me booked in for an hour to practice wheelchair stowing in a car, but unfortunately for her it only took a few minute to get it in to the car. We did try putting it in the boot of the station wagon and then hobbling around to the front of the car which also is an option. Trish also gave me a new shower stool to try out which is easier to move around myself than the big shower chair. Tomorrow we might head to a Holden dealership to try to get into a few other cars plus a bit of a cardio workout on the way there too.

In the evening there was a chit chat with past patients in the rec room, it was good to have a chat with some people who have been through the system and hear how they have made their lives. Especially a high level quad having a 3 year old running around the house, gives you a lot of hope.

Driving assessment tomorrow which I'll be looking forward to, a little bit more independence for me which will be great!

Stu

No comments:

Post a Comment