Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Super walk and new sports.

Tuesday 13 October
A really early start for me today, 8:30 physio session. I got there early enough to get a bit of stretching done before Vivian got me into the walking. We managed a lap around the quad again and it was then back to the plynth and onto the stairs to do some right leg lifts again. every day I come back to do this it gets easier which is a good feeling for me.
I then had a meeting with my doctor and I should be able to self medicate again soon which will be good, she also said it will be fine for me to go home for the weekend which I'm looking forward to. Wheelchair Sports Australia have an office here so I went down and registered with them. They might be able to find something that I enjoy playing. I'll give almost anything a go at the moment.
It was then off to my OT session. I won't be needing many of these a week, as the Royal North Shore Hospital OT's managed to teach me most of the stuff I needed to know for the outside world. Plus I did a bit of real world(on the job) learning of wheelchair skills finding myself in some tricky situations where I had to learn a new way to get out of. We did go through the house mods and a few other things that I still need. When I get a smaller wheelchair Trish will teach me how to put it into the car with me, which will be one of the last things I'll need to learn.

I then went and had a rest before lunch. After lunch I headed into the gym again to do the strength/stretch program that I was given yesterday. I'm going to have to take my ipod in with me next time, its a bit tedious as my upper body is not doing much. Vivian then got me doing to do some more walking in the afternoon, this time heading outside for the first time. Around the roundabout out the front of the center. I'm not sure of how far it is yet but I will measure it tomorrow. It's amazing how tricky uneven surfaces are. But the ramp into the center was not as hard as I thought. I will rest well tonight ready for some more tomorrow! My goal is to be able to walk with crutches without anyone one having to spot me.

I then met up with Shannon, he is a peer support person who comes in every Tuesday. He showed me a link to a website that is right down my ally, it's called Extreme Chairing www.extremechairing.com
Do you think Mum would let me do it????







Stu

No comments:

Post a Comment