Sunday, October 25, 2009

Mobilising independently with crutches

Friday 24th October
I had my regular early physio session. Today I got ticked off (given the OK from the physios to mobilise on my own on crutches) to walk around the hospital using crutches. Which means I'm going to walk to the dining room for every meal and try and walk as much as I can during the day. I'm limited because of the torn cartilage in my right knee but I can still manage a fair slab of walking each day.
I decided to get a cab after lunch and head over to Royal North Shore and catch up with the staff and patients there. It was nice to say hello, they were very interested in the new chair and cushion that I was sitting on. The Physios were pleased with my improvement and my walking really impressed them. Alanna from OT was certain that I was not going to walk again but I proved her wrong. She was so pleased with my progress and the news that I will not need any modifications to a car to drive. This means I can drive any automatic once I have my licence. I hung around talking to a few patients who are coming to Moorong soon. They were heading to Manly with the OT's to lean how to use buses, trains and taxis in their wheelchairs. Brought back memories of my first couple of outings to Chatswood.
I cruised back to Moorong around 5 for dinner, which was not that nice so Rob and I got some Pizza and relaxed for the evening.

Stu

No comments:

Post a Comment