Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Goal Planning Meeting

Tuesday 20th October
Had a morning walk with Viv again, got in early and did some stretching of my legs before hand which helps. We managed 350 meters today up and down ramps and across rough terrain which felt really good to do. It was a lap around the whole building. I then headed down and tried out a new Tennis chair, I have coaching every Wednesday afternoon, its amazing how much easier it is to play in a proper chair. I was able to serve better sitting down than I ever could standing upright which amazed me. I'll give another chair a go tomorrow to see what fits me better ready for the afternoon lesson.
I then had a nap whilst I waited for Mum and Dad to arrive from Wagga Wagga. I've also found out that the second trial chair that I've been waiting for has been approved and heading over to Aus, hopefully be here in 3 weeks. Mum and Dad found me out on the front verandah where we had Pizza for lunch, which was a lot better than what else I had on offer.

The highlight of my day was my the Goal Planning Meeting, the team pretty much said what I already knew about me, but they did say that I should be going home at the end of November! Not much longer now for me. First up is my driving test on Thursday. Will definitely have to change from a manual to an automatic car but hopefully I will not need to make to many modifications to be able to drive independently. I have my VUD on the 19th November, where they look at my bladder capacity, emptying etc. Will help decide on the best routine for me when I go home. I will also do some sessions on bowel management and skin care, learn lots of tips for when I am out of the hospital system. Also got to finish the wheelchair trials, will be good to try the Marvel in a few weeks. It's just really good to finally get a time frame that I can work towards.

My next appointment today was with a psychiatrist, something that all of us here in the spinal unit have to do. It all went well, no problems.
I spent the arvo with Shannon(peer support) who was very interested in the marvel chair coming to Aus, and is keen to jump into it and take her for a spin around. Was keen to show Mum and Dad my remote control car which I got myself for my birthday(a tinkering project). They were suitably impressed.



We had a wheelchair challenge late in the afternoon. Fastest time up the last half of the ramp that comes up from the pool and tennis courts to the gym. Viv and Alison took Shannon and I on. Shannon was the winner in a time of....and I came in second, but check out the size of his guns.






Stu and Janet

No comments:

Post a Comment