Thursday, October 15, 2009

Tilight chair

Thursday 15th October
Up early again for physio which is not to bad, my mornings begin with breakfast at around 7:30. First I did some balance practice in the parallel bars trying to touch Viv's hand in various positions, then followed by some boxing. It's amazing how hard it is to keep your balance. Viv and I then managed two laps around the round-a-bout today. I will take some photos and put them up so you can understand how far I'm walking. The new heal wedge really has helps me with my walking, I didn't need as many stops and I went a lot longer before I got tired. I then got to trial a new electro stimulator on my legs to help strengthen my hamstrings and calf muscles, it was cool watching my leg move without me doing anything. After a bit of upperbody weights, Alison, Vivian and I headed down to Putney shops...a massive run down the hill which I was a bit scared to go down in the wheelchair. We had a nice banana smoothie. The push back up was out cardio workout, although Alison did get pushed up the hill for most of it...I made it up with only a few stops. The record is 8 minutes, which knowing that now I'm going to want to try and beet it. I had an early night last night as I'm flying back to Wagga tomorrow.

Stu

Mum's photo of the front of Moorong and most of the round-a-bout

TENNIS
Wednesday 14 October
Didn't quite get my medications early enough this morning before physio but we gave it a fair go none the less, managed a good walk around the courtyard. Vivian then gave me a go on the steps. There is a set of steps built out the back with railings on each side so people can learn how to do them again. Viv got me to first walk over them using both the railings for support, then walk over using one crutch and finally using two crutches which is rather difficult to do. Viv said I can do the single step lift on my right leg to strengthen it on my own now which is good, It means that I can do it when ever I want, not having to wait for a physio or nurse to help me is good. I then went and signed up to Wheelchair Sports Australia, it will be interesting to see what they can get me into. They don't promote many out there/extreme sports more along the lines of basketball and tennis. Speaking of tennis there is a coaching course every Wednesday for an hour with a coach which I was able to have a go at. I haven't played tennis for a long time and was using my old crappy chair for the afternoon but it was still fun to roll around and have a go. Next week I'll get a go in a tennis chair and I should go a lot better. Keven who make prosthetic for patients was there again and wanted to try putting a wedge under my left heal to help with the spasms, we'll see how it goes tomorrow.

Nick from Tilight brought around a new trial chair for me, it weighs nothing and pushes forever. I'll have a few more to trial but I like this one a lot!





Stu

No comments:

Post a Comment