Monday, October 12, 2009

Monday gym session

Monday 12th October
Monday morning Vivian and I set up my strength training programme for my lower legs. It will take me about an hour each day working on my legs in various positions to strengthen the muscles. We then walked my longest so far, I made 190 meters before my legs started to get tired.

I had a chat to the recreational therapists. They try to help you with sports and activities that you can do. I'm going to give tennis a go next week sometime, I can also borrow the equipment over the weekend to use with friends when they come up.

My afternoon session I did some standing on the parallel bars for a bit then moved on to the stairs. This was harder than I thought, but a really good workout for my quads and hamstrings on the right leg. I first went up using the railings with both hands, then one crutch and one railing, finally onto two crutches which was really hard to keep my balance. I then did some single leg lifts with my right leg to get it working harder again. Every day it gets easier. Vivian then wanted to do a push test, which involved pushing around a basketball court as many times as you can in 6 minutes, the record is 12. I managed to get 9 laps which was not that bad, I haven't done any aerobic activity for 4 months. I'll give the record a go next time. I went and did some stretching after and found out that I now have some movement in my right foot. I can now raise my foot. This has been something that I've wanted to do for a while and it was a great relief when I did it. Early start at 8:30 tomorrow morning so it won't be a late night for me.

Stu

No comments:

Post a Comment