Thursday, August 13, 2009

A night in Wagga Wagga



Wednesday 12th August

My morning started very early, 5am wake up call so I would have enough time to attend to my toilet duties and get to the airport. Turned out that I could give my self half an hour more next time. I arrived at the airport at around 7:30, check in was easy.and Tristan and I found a seat looking out of one of the big windows at all the activity on the ground.The fella who was going to put me on the plane found us there and let me know where I needed to be and what to do. They take me out to the plane before any other passengers, put me into a special chair which will fit down the isle of the plane. I then sat on my chair cushion on the seat(took the plane seat cushion off, guess I know how) The plane ride home was really good, I couldn't believe how green the countryside was. As always the drone of the engine put me to sleep almost straight away. When we got in there was a nice reception from the ground staff plus they let Mum and Maggie out onto the tarmac to see me unloaded!!!







Tristan and I rolled over to the hangar to say a quick hello to all the boys at work. I didn't tell many people that I was coming back so there were a few surprised faces. It was also nice to see everyone before the funeral.







Mum, Maggie and I went back home so I could have a quick kip and get ready for the afternoon.It was nice to drive in to 1 Kauri Pl, check out the garden and of course say hello to Muscles, he was pretty excited, he didn't seem to notice the chair at all, just wanted a pat and a play as always. It was nice to be back in he house, has that nice home feeling. I was able to get in and out of the screen doors with ease, which gave me access to both the kitchen living room's and bathroom.





Tristan and I then headed funeral was a great send off for Phil, there was seating for 200 people but looking around there was around 600 people. After the service everyone stayed for refreshments back in the hangar. I've found a slight problem with the wheel chair, trying to roll with one hand and have a beer in the other. I might invest in a stubbie holder on the side of the chair.



Dad collected me in the VL from the hanger about 6pm, I was outside and heard her coming up Don Kendal Dr. I'll be aiming to drive her again one day again.

Mum had organized a family dinner of sorts with uncles and aunts, Nandi and Pa and a few ring ins who we share a meal with often. One of my favorite meals was on the menu. It was a great night, just good to be able to sit and chat and of course show my new tricks, left foot kicks and standing on one leg with Dad's help. I feel so tall, Dad seemed a long way down.




Photos from family dinner will be published soon.
Janet and Stu

No comments:

Post a Comment